The Plan of Operation provides details of appointing the seven members of the Commission; and the objectives for the Commission, including:
- To assess, approve and implement the Navajo Nation’s water rights claims to determine the feasibility and prioritization of such claims and devise an overall strategy for the Nation’s pursuit of such claims.
- To advise and report to the President of the Navajo Nation, and Resources Committee of the Navajo Nation Council, on the status and progress of water rights claims.
- To serve as the principal point of contact for the Navajo Nation and all media, public relations and public education efforts regarding water rights and shall coordinate all public statements on these issues.
- To establish the policies and priorities for the expenditure of the Navajo Nation Water Rights Claim Fund.
- To approve the budget and expenditure of the Navajo Nation Water Rights Claim Fund.
- To develop and recommend to the Resources Committee and Budget and Finance Committees of the Navajo Nation Council, the expenditure plan for the Navajo Nation Water Rights Claim Fund specifying the procedures for requesting the use of money from the Fund.
- To establish and supervise negotiating teams for any and all Navajo Nation water rights negotiation efforts to ensure consistency of positions and to maximize success consistent with the Navajo Nation water strategy.
- To enhance communication between the appropriate Navajo Nation divisions, departments, programs, chapters and appropriate agencies, the Navajo public on water rights issues by producing periodic newsletters, fostering the immediate use of wet water and other action to preserve or enhance Navajo Nation Water Rights Claims.
- To conduct public meetings to seek and receive input from the Navajo public on water rights issues.
- To recommend resolutions or legislation to the Resources Committee or other Standing Committees of the Navajo Nation Council to enhance the Navajo Nation position on water rights claims.
For the complete Plan of Operation, see the PDF.